Friday, July 23, 2010

Low and slow again - definitely NOT the plan.

We took off from Whitehorse at 8:45 am and landed in Smithers at 8:30 pm. Spot tracking explains some of the "slow". The neat little loop midway shows our attempt to find a VFR route out of Dease Lake, as the weather closed in the farther south we got:
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=214932

For "low", how about 50 ft over the Cassiar Highway, with rain, lightning, thunder, hail, visibility below but not around us, another aircraft on our tail, and a dirt strip somewhere ahead?



When the thunder cell passed, visibility improved, and we were airborne again, this beautiful rainbow appeared. A good omen we thought. Alas, the Weather Gods weren't finished with us. Clear air wind sheer buffeted us around like a roller coaster the last 20 miles into Smithers.
http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_wind_shear.htm

We were afraid to ask "what next?" because that surely would have happened. It was just one of those days.

Bill is one hell of a pilot.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Guys,
    I got as close as 489nm south of you on Friday, and was thinking about your great adventure. Love the last few posts, you've had excellent wx for all your outings.
    You've really done a great job with the Blog Jill, Pics and comments really give us a taste of what you're both experiencing.
    Talk to you tomorrow.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your day sounds altogether too adventurous. I'm very glad you're both still in one piece - or should that be, still in two one-pieces? And I certainly agree with Cuz Mike. The blog is terrific, although I, personally, could have used some more gravestones.
    And I do apologize for my "are you receiving me" question. Just what you needed: another note.
    I hope today has been less exciting - as in "may you live in exciting times."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our flight to Victoria was much less exciting, Jill. Almost an anticlimax after the adrenalin rush on Friday. I'm sure people wonder "why didn't the cautious Roberts turn around?" At a certain point you are committed to go on or to land. The complete lack of weather data means the conditions behind are likely as bad as the conditions ahead, and that front was moving fast. We knew we could land on the highway if things got even worse. Messy, though!

    ReplyDelete